Making healthy choices for your family can be confusing. Everyone says organic is best, but we also know that many times organic can be expensive. Below you will find a list of foods/drinks that are worth buying organic and why.
Also, remember to read the labels carefully:
100 % Organic: All the ingredients are certified organic
Organic: At least 95 % of the ingredients are certified organic
Made with Organic Ingredients: At least 70% of the ingredients are certified organic.
- Dairy – Organic Dairy products are things like Milk, cheese and yogurt made from cows that are NOT treated with antibiotics or hormones and at least 30% of their feed comes from pasture (some for longer). The rest of their feed must be grown without fertilizers, pesticides or GMO (genetically modified organisms).
- Fruits where you eat the skin – For the most part fruits where you eat the skin should be purchased organic if possible. For example: strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, apples, peaches, etc. Fruits where we don’t eat the skin, like cantaloupe, watermelon and bananas are safe to purchase conventional. If possible buy local. Always wash these fruits well before eating.
- Vegetables – Tomatoes, Spinach and Kale can be high in pesticides. If possible buy these local. Cooking will decrease some of the harms from pesticides but it also removes some of the nutrients.
- Meat – Cattle that are not raised organic are given sex hormones like estrogen and testosterone so they will grow faster. There are some concerns about these hormones affecting puberty in children. It is also believed that organic meats are higher in heart-healthy Omega-3 fats.
- Poultry & Pork – Organic Chickens and pigs are given foods free from pesticides and GMO’s. They are also not given antibiotics, which can result in antibiotic resistant bacterias. If you do need to buy conventional, always trim the fat and skin since this is where most of the pesticides are found.